I had the chance to play with Mono for Android last Thursday and Friday – and continued over the weekend. I had planned to do a bit on Windows to test the new installer but my not yet 6 months old iMac died (along with my Windows virtual machines). Nevertheless it was a pleasant experience using MonoDevelop on OSX – thanks to my recently received MacBook Air :-)
It made me realize how lucky iOS developers are to have a simulator compared to an emulator (95% of the time anyway) – but it was definitively not as slow as I have heard. Although getting the i7 upgrade on the MacBook Air might be related to my opinion on the subject. Debugging on a device (Nexus S) was just like I’m used with MonoTouch and an iPad.
Once I completed the tutorials I begin to look for a sample project. A quick googling showed me no one has forked and published a port of Touch.Unit to Android. It did not look very tempting, as a first project, until I noticed MonoDroid.Dialog and it’s many forks and modifications, including mine now.
At this stage temptation was too great to hack anything else and Andr.Unit was born. It’s not yet as complete as Touch.Unit but that’s something I want to fix asap. Anyway I hope it will make life easier to android .net developers and to all people working on cross platform .net applications.
Note: make sure to get my MonoDroid.Dialog fork if you want to build this using Mono for Android 1.9.2.